The 2017 yearbook “One & Only” was distributed in the spring. The book sold out prior to its arrival.
Make sure to order your 2018 yearbook as soon as possible to guarantee a copy. Due to the cost, extra yearbooks are not ordered. To ensure receipt of a yearbook, you must order before the final April deadline. Click HERE to order today!!
- Coverage – The yearbook covers student life, athletics, clubs, academics, and people from the summer prior to the school year through the Friday before Spring Break in March. There is an included supplement of typically 20 pages that can be inserted into the yearbook that is provided at distribution in May. This supplement covers events, sports, etc. that finish after the March deadline such as Prom and softball. The staff chooses who, what, when, where, and how to cover events and people. They do so with the goal of featuring EVERY student and a diversity of topics, activities, clubs, and sports. Processes are in place to foster this expectation. The staff also chooses colors, fonts, design, photos, stories, etc. with the yearbook production meant to be a learning process, an academic course, and business experience for the students. The yearbook does not have to be in school colors.
- Pricing – The yearbook increases in price throughout the year to encourage purchasing before the deadline. The early promotional price starts in August at $75 and raises to its standard price of $85 Oct. 31. If at distribution there are leftover overruns (few yearbooks sent by Balfour in case of damages/defects), then the staff will sell them on a first come first serve basis for $100.
- Accessories – Optional purchases are also available at smart-pay.com such as covers, autograph supplements, pens, and the e-zine supplement in addition to personalization of names and/or activity icons on nameplates.
- Literary Magazine – The Meraki literary magazine is included with your yearbook purchase. This hard bound book contains creative works from students, including short stories, poetry, and drawings. More information can be found HERE.
- School Portraits – PhotoTexas Photography will come to campus multiple times to take student portraits at no cost. It is up to the student to make sure and take his/her picture either on one of these days or make an appointment at the PhotoTexas studio. If the student does not take a picture, he/she will not appear in the student body portraits section. Currently picture days are 9/26, 9/27 with retakes 11/7 for non-seniors. The seniors must make an appointment to take their picture at school on 10/9, 10/10, 11/29, 11/30 by signing up in the counseling office. These dates include retakes. All school portraits must be taken before winter break in order to be in the yearbook. PhotoTexas will choose the photo to appear in the yearbook for consistency. Click HERE to order pictures using the code 1718-0035 for 9/26-9/27 or contact PhotoTexas customer support at 1-800-883-6463 to schedule an in-studio appointment at 512-617-7780.
- Sports & Club Group Pictures – The coaches of each team arrange to have their group’s photo taken and submitted to the yearbook. Clubs and organizations associated with the school will take group photos with PhotoTexas on Jan. 10. Sponsors and officers can sign up for a time HERE. There will be no retakes if a student is absent or misses his/her team or club’s picture day.
- Senior Ads/Shoutouts – Parents, friends, and students themselves can purchase space in the back of the yearbook to congratulate seniors on accomplishments. Information will be sent to all senior parents through email about this process and most will also be contacted by phone to answer questions and coordinate production. See pricing, purchase, and upload materials at smart-pay.com where you also purchase the yearbook. The senior shoutouts are standardized with similar fonts, themes, and colors to the current year’s book, but the staff welcomes completed ads provided by the customer. Please see the letter sent to parents for specifications and requirements of content HERE. The deadline to order a senior ad is September 22. Click HERE for even more information on ads.
- Business Ads – Businesses, clubs, and organizations can support the journalism program and promote themselves by purchasing ad space in either the yearbook or the school newspaper. An order form can be found HERE. Businesses also receive a discount on the yearbook itself when also purchasing an ad. See HERE for pricing. Support from the community is vital to the publications’ sustainability since the department funds itself. Click HERE for even more information on ads.
- Senior Quotes & Superlatives – The yearbook staff chooses the content to appear in the yearbook based on the theme, time, and space. Therefore, elements such as senior quotes and superlatives are not guaranteed. Elements such as these often have issues that prevent their inclusion e.g. accuracy, truthfulness, and tact. The staff relies on the seniors to participate and do so with discretion. The staff has sole editing privileges and decision making when it comes to these processes.
- Mistakes – There WILL be mistakes in the yearbook. This is a student run publication with the primary purpose to educate those participating in its production. The staff tries its best with many processes in place to try and prevent errors. For example, the portraits section is printed and displayed on the library window so that the student body can check for name misspellings and whether they are in the correct grade. Please encourage your student to listen to the announcements and check hallway boards for information about these processes.
- Contact – Feel free to email Ms. Stamp, the yearbook adviser, with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.