All photos by Paige Miller
Notable Moments from the assembly:
- Students stood and bowed their heads in a moment of silence for all the MIA and POWs. “Hopefully they’ll be sitting here next year.”
- Senior Travis Myhand led the color guard, which presented the colors. The color guard was boy scout troop 101.
- The Jazz Cats sung “The National Anthem.”
- Captain David Koss spoke at the event. He is a F18 fighter pilot with over 100 combat missions, graduated United States Naval Academy in 1991, received his wings March 1995, 2000 USS Nimitz, Sept. 2010 call sign Mongo since he was a boxer at the Academy, flew with Blue Angels, awarded bronze star.
- A notable part from Captain Koss’ speech, “We are the nation. We are the crack of the bat, we are nurses, we are teachers, we are small towns and cities that never sleep. We were conceived in freedom. May we never forget the continuing cost of freedom.”
- It was noted that today population of veterans in America is about 5% of the total population. It was also noted the 97 Texans have been awarded the highest honor, the Congressional Medal of Honor.
- The Orchestra played “America the Beautiful.”